The 6A program enables graduate students to gain real-world experience while simultaneously working on their M.Eng thesis.
Students can earn a significant and competitive salary while on their internship, gain a relationship with their employer, work on projects/assignments, and take on increasingly responsible roles in their work sessions. Students that complete the program are highly sought after and often will receive job offers from the company.
- Course number 6.9870 (12 units). This course provides academic credit for 6A graduate students at companies affiliated with the department’s 6A internship program.
- Course number 6.9880 (12 units). This course provides academic credit for 6A graduate students completing their second half of their internship program.
- Course number 24.133 (3-units). Experiential Ethics course is a dynamic discussion course that introduces students to the ethical landscape in industry, science, and technology.
- Course number 6.ThM. This course is for the Master of Engr Program Thesis.
- Attend a mandatory orientation before the start of the internship.
- Internship work experience is graded on a pass/fall basis by the 6A program coordinator.
- Students are required to complete and submit an initial work or project scope (1-pager) within the first 2 weeks of the internship.
- Students are required to fill out and submit a midterm progress report.
- Students are required to fill out and submit a final evaluation report.
- Presentation: Final 5-minute thesis presentation to team members, faculty, students, and senior leadership. An email will be sent with more information and dates.
Attendance: Students are expected to be present during normal working hours and to inform their supervisor in case of absence or tardiness.
Professional Conduct: Students are expected to adhere to the company’s policies and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
Communication: Students are expected to maintain open communication with their supervisors and team members. Reporting progress regularly and notify if facing any challenges.
Performance: Students are expected to complete assignments and projects within the stipulated deadlines as well as maintain consistent work quality.