Financing the M.Eng.


M.Eng. candidates must be registered as full-time students and must be classified as graduate students for at least one regular term. Unfortunately, no undergraduate-style, need-based grants are available for the M.Eng., and graduate fellowships for the program are quite rare. For many, the solution to funding is a job as a research assistant (RA) or teaching assistant (TA). Although RA and TA positions can be difficult to obtain, they pay approximately $3000/month in salary plus full tuition and health insurance. Regular graduate assistantships require students to work around 20 hours per week (full-time in the summer). RAs and TAs are strictly limited to two regular classes, but receive 24 units of credit for teaching or research/thesis, and so are almost always registered for at least 48 units each term. Rarely, half-time posts are available that pay half the monthly stipend, half tuition, and require half the hours and allow students to take three classes. Loans are another financing option. For information, contact Student Financial Services.  MEng students are only eligible for RA and TA support in their first three regular terms of registration as MEng graduate students.  Exceptions for fourth term ONLY have been made for those who have held TAships at least once or encountered major difficulties during their MEng program.

Registration Limits for RAs and TAs

Full-time TAs and RAs can only register for two 12-unit classes each term plus thesis and RA or TA credit. There are NO exceptions. It is therefore very, very important that students have, at most, six subjects left to complete when they become graduate students. TAs must register for 24 units of 6.981, and 12 units of 6.THM (thesis) if they are taking two classes. RAs must register for 12 units of 6.991 and 12 units of 6.THM (thesis).

Summer RAships

Students are expected to work full-time during the summer when they hold an RAship, and register only for 6.991 and 6.THM.  If students register for anything else they are charged full summer tuition that is NOT covered by the RAship so that students will have to pay it personally.

Useful Links: