Please visit web.mit.edu/covid19/ for the latest MIT updates.
Note: This EECS page, created in tandem with MIT's coronavirus response, is updated as new information becomes available. Most recent update: May 4, 2020.
Dear EECS Community:
EECS leadership is tracking the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak carefully with frequent discussions. We are in close contact with Institute leadership and our medical professionals, and we are monitoring the decisions made by our peer universities. Our goal is to protect the health and well-being of our community without unduly disrupting the education, research, and work of our students, faculty, and staff.
Given the constantly evolving situation, we will be providing regular updates on our policies and guidelines on this website.
MIT implemented a Limited Access Plan (LAP) for all MIT Cambridge campus buildings effective Wednesday, March 25, at 8 a.m. These changes to building access are consistent with Governor Charlie Baker’s stay-at-home advisory issued March 23. Please see messages dated March 22, March 23 and March 24 in covid19.mit.edu.
- Classes: All EECS classes are canceled for Friday, March 13, 2020, and for the week of March 16. We are preparing to run online-only after MIT spring break ends on March 30. You can find emails about this from our education officers to EECS Instructors here.
- Payments: We will continue to support all EECS department TA appointments throughout the Spring 2020 term. We are also encouraging our instructors to continue to work with LAs and graders to support the courses.
- Pre-Registration, Summer Grading, Summer UROP, Surveys of Students and Subjects, & Scenarios for the Fall: Please go here for updates *NEW*
MEETINGS AND EVENTS:
- Faculty lunches: We will now host faculty meetings via Zoom. Faculty members have received an email from the department leadership with Zoom-related information.
- All meetings and events: All MIT business should be done remotely, unless there is no other alternative. Public health guidelines emphasize that minimizing person-to-person interactions is critical to limiting the spread of the virus. To be clear, any MIT meeting — research, academic, or administrative — that can be done remotely must be done remotely.
- Interviews: Effective Wednesday, March 11, we are moving to virtualized faculty candidate interviews for all upcoming searches through the rest of the season. Our goals with this change are to eliminate the pressure for candidates to travel, and to eliminate in-person meetings and seminars.
- Visit Schedules: We will keep the candidate visit schedules as-is, but move one-on-one meetings to Skype, and over the next day or two develop a procedure for video-casting the seminars. Dinners will be canceled and will be replaced with an informal discussion session. Junior faculty lunches and graduate student lunches will be turned into Skype lunch-time meetings.
EECS Leadership Team
- Event Cancellations (list updated regularly)
MIT INFORMATION FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS:
INFORMATION FOR UNDERGRADUATES:
- For additional undergraduate housing, housing exceptions, and other Institute-wide info, please visit the main MIT COVID-19 website.
INFORMATION FOR MIT EMPLOYEES:
INFORMATION ON ACADEMICS:
INFORMATION ON RESEARCH:
MIT PRESIDENT'S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Following are email addresses for COVID related questions:
- Educational continuity: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Events exception requests/concerns: COVIDevents@mit.edu
- HR support for MIT employees: email@example.com
- Student support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Travel cancellations and expensing: email@example.com
- Travel/events/visitor policies: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Travel exception requests/concerns (provost/chancellor): COVIDtravel@mit.edu
The following spring 2020 EECS events have been canceled due to the COVID-19 outbreak:
- SuperUROP Showcase poster session (originally scheduled for April 23).
- Masterworks thesis-research poster session (originally scheduled for April 23).
- SuperUROP Closing Reception (originally scheduled for May 7).
Send updates to email@example.com.